Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Visual Literacy in Picture Books

I found this article, “Read A Picture…Book | Bold New Titles for Bolstering Visual Literacy and Discussing Design,” posted on the School Library Journal blog particularly interesting because I write picture books. The article reads: “ … these newly published picture books make clever use of visual presentation to convey information and story essentials, establish ambiance and tone, and challenge readers’ imaginations.”
 
Listing nine picture book covers, there is a description of each and how most of these “… also enrich visual literacy by encouraging children to interpret symbols and pictures, explore the interaction between words and images, and analyze pictorial content to determine meaning and significance.”
 
I recommend you read it. Super interesting.

“What does an editor do? Michelangelo said it best: ‘I saw an angel in the marble and I just chiseled till I set him free.’”  -- Deborah Brodie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: