Saturday, July 14, 2012

Abandoned Wal-Mart Becomes a Public Library

When I was growing up, my favorite place was the school library. It was not only cozy, but the books I read took me to faraway places I could only imagine. I would get lost in those books. That’s where I discovered the magic of words and the fun of reading. So when I read that a former Wal-Mart had been converted into a public library in McAllen, Texas, I was overjoyed. What a marvelous gift for the people of that city.  

Acording to the article, “How an Abandoned Wal-Mart Became an Award-Winning Public Library,” posted by By Daniel Lametti and Katy Waldman in the New York Times blog, “When a Wal-Mart retailer moved to a larger facility down the road, the city purchased the old building and created the McAllen Public Library.”

You must read the above post and view the pictures of the massive library. Great news isn't it?


"Search through your childhood memories and rediscover what it felt like to live in the world of a child; the joys, the fears, and the dreams." -- Audrey Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: