Friday, May 11, 2012

School Visit

I just got back from an inspiring school visit in San Benito, Texas. The energy and enthusiasm of the students never fails to rejuvenate me. I had a great time. I was amazed when during a tour of the school, I witnessed kindergarteners writing stories in their own little journals!

It was also great seeing the acres and acres of cotton, onions, tall stalks of corn, and even giant sunflowers growing in that part of the Rio Grande Valley. At one of the Mexican restaurants there, I had the most delicious aguas frescas cantaloupe drink. Reminded me of my book, Alicia’s Fruity Drinks/Las Aguas Frescas de Alicia, where my main character creates her own natural juice drinks and shares with her soccer teammates. I had tried the strawberry, watermelon, pineapple, and lemon aguas frescas before, but never cantaloupe. Really refreshing!
School Visit
Here’s an interesting blog, Literary Rambles, which spotlights children’s book authors, agents, and publishers. You can search for an agent by age category, i.e., picture books, middle grade, or young adult. Neat blog!

Junie B. Jones early chapter books have been around for 20 years and have sold in the millions. Read a feature article, Random House Celebrates Junie B. Jones’s 20th Anniversary, by Sally Lodge to learn how this series of books got started.   

“A journal can be an invaluable tool for recording ideas, impressions, and anecdotes for future use. It can also help your career by instilling in you the habit of writing regularly.” – Writer’s Digest Weekly Planner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: