Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getty Museum and Texas Book Festival

On tram to Getty Museum
While attending the SCBWI-LA conference at the start of this month, I took a side trip to the Getty Museum and I’m glad I did. Not only was the place awesome, but being surrounded by the art of world-famous painters was a thrill I will not soon forget. It was exciting to see Van Gogh’s “Irises” up close for one. Once we got on the grounds of the Getty, we took a tram up to the museum itself, which is on a hill overlooking Los Angeles. The view from up there was amazing. There was so much to see but not enough time. We spent several hours there but then had to head back to the hotel for the next day's conference. Going to the Getty was an inspiration in itself. If you ever get the chance to visit there, do it.

Getty Museum
Van Gogh's "Irises"
It’s always an honor for me when I’m invited to be part of the annual Texas Book Festival in Austin. This will be my second time there and I am so looking forward to it. Hundreds of books and hundreds of authors! What better way to spend a weekend. The event will be held on October 16-17.

"Why does anybody tell a story? It does indeed have something to do with faith, faith that the universe has meaning, that our little human lives are not irrelevant, that what we choose or say or do matters, matters cosmically." -- Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: