Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rereading

I have an old copy of Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. The other day I read a Writer’s Digest article, “What You Might Find in Your Old Notebooks," by blogger Kate Monahan, which mentioned free writing and referred to a quote in Goldberg’s book. I decided to revisit the book, especially the chapter Goldberg wrote on “Rereading and Rewriting.” She mentions putting your writing aside for a while and then coming back and rereading. I recently mentioned just that in a writing workshop I conducted for senior citizens. I commented how I’ve revisited an earlier piece several days or weeks later and discover that I have a different perspective. Most of the time, it’s a much better perspective. Goldberg writes in that chapter, “See revision as ‘envisioning again.’ If there are areas in your work where there is a blur or vagueness, you can simply see the picture and add the details that will bring your work closer to your mind’s picture.” It works for me. Happy writing.

Trust in what you love, continue to do it, and it will take you where you need to go.” -- Natalie Goldberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: